Jacques' Famous Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Nov 14, 2016
You've asked so we’re bringing you Jacques’ world-famous chocolate chip cookie recipe, as seen in the New York Times.
When making these cookies, keep the following points in mind:
- Turn any chocolate discs that are poking up from the dough horizontally so that they melt evenly into the cookie.
- If you want your cookies to have a cake-like texture, replace one of the egg with two egg yolks.
- Get creative! Add your favorite nuts, raisins, or other sweet dried fruits for a personal flavor.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need…
- 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 ½ ounces) cake flour
- 1 ⅔ cups (8 ½ ounces) bread flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 ½ sticks (1 ¼ cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ pounds bittersweet chocolate discs or féves, at least 60 percent cacao content
- Flaky sea salt, like Maldon
Let’s get started
- Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugars together until very pale and light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between additions. Stir in the vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds.
- Stir in chocolate pieces without breaking them.
- Press plastic wrap against dough chill in the refrigerator for 24-72 hours. Dough can be used all at once, or in batches.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Scoop six 3 ½-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto a parchment paper lined baking mat. Flatten out any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake until golden brown, but still soft, about 18 to 20 minutes for large cookies, or 10 to 12 minutes for smaller cookies. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove cookies to another rack to cool further. Best eaten warm.
Don’t forget to share your creations with us on social media using the hashtag #JacquesTorres!